[time] server unreachable, score negative

Adrian von Bidder avbidder
Fri Nov 24 23:20:26 UTC 2006

On Monday 20 November 2006 21:41, Rob Janssen wrote:

> Is that normal?  Should the score not be clipped at zero?

Others have explained the 'how'.  Since I'm the creator of that algorithm,
here's the why:  The basic assumption is that a server that is bad for some
reason might be bad for some time to come (network unstable, admin taking
corrective measures and tweaking/restarting ntp a few times etc.)  So we
only want to let a server back in after it has shown that it can be trusted
again.  Also: the pool basically has enough servers, so kicking one server
off it for a time does not much damage to the pool (hard though it may be
for the ego of the admin ;-)

greetings
-- vbi

--