[time] NTP authoritative US Government time sources

Ryan Malayter malayter
Thu Oct 2 17:39:03 UTC 2008

On Thu, Oct 2, 2008 at 12:01 PM, Ask Bj?rn Hansen <ask at develooper.com> wrote:
>> Isn't http://www.nist.gov also a US Government time source? They
>> have a list
>> of ACT time servers they have placed around the country.
>
> I've sometimes been monitoring those in the pool system.  Let's say
> I'd highly recommend supplementing with a few pool hostnames.   :-)

The NIST and USNO servers - or at least their networks - have enormous
traffic are overloaded for the most part. That being the case, is GPS
itself an official US government time source? I would think so, since
it is run by DoD and synchronized to USNO, right? WWV(B) radio as
well?

Assuming GPS or is an official source, would getting *authenticated*
timestamps from a third-party's GPS-synchronized NTP server be good
enough to meet Irene's regulatory obligations? If it is good enough,
asking the operator of a pool GPS server to exchange keys might be the
easiest solution.

--
RPM