[time] How many servers should the pool config config line try to use?

Kurt Roeckx kurt
Mon Feb 8 19:49:59 UTC 2010

On Wed, Nov 18, 2009 at 01:25:21AM -0800, Hal Murray wrote:

> After we get this all sorted out, the typical ntp.conf file should be as
> simple as:
>   pool whatever.pool.ntp.org

I was just asked to use this for the debian package.  But I have a
few issues with it:
- It seems "0.debian.pool.ntp.org" only returns 3 servers now,
  while it used to return 5.  If I changed from the 4 servers
  lines to the 1 pool line, I would reduce the number of servers
  ntpd uses from 4 to 3.  And I'm not sure that's a good idea.
- There is no "debian.pool.ntp.org", so I'd have to use
  "0.debian.pool.ntp.org", and the others would be phased out
  over time and become useless.

One of my problems that I have with reducing the number of servers
is that I now already see a few people complain that there server
doesn't sync properly because there are alot of false tickers out
there.  If anything, I'd like to move from 4 to 5.

A related question is the use of the iburst keyword.  The ntp
documentation recommends the use of the iburst keyword and this
was added to the the Debian package.  But someone raised a concern
that this might increase the load on the pool servers, for
instance around office start times.  Do you suggest I remove it?

Kurt