[time] Fwd: [time-dev] NTP survey

Ask Bjørn Hansen ask
Fri Feb 12 20:21:08 UTC 2010

On Feb 12, 2010, at 6:58, der Mouse wrote:

>> Ryan, How do you propose to choose nodes "randomly" ?
>
> Well, I didn't write that, but I assumed it meant something like
>
> 	sin.sin_addr = my_favourite_32bit_rng();
>
> The v4 Internet is getting populated enough that that is becoming a
> sane technique for doing that kind of statistical work (well, sane from
> a statistical POV; it's often not so hot from an abuse POV).

Sometime in the late 90's I did (or tried) an SMTP transaction with every IP range in Scandinavia (or something like that, I forget the details).   It was basically a full-time job for a couple weeks to deal with (of course most of the "feedback" came because I emailed everyone with an open SMTP relay and told them that they'd be submitted to whatever-the-open-relay-list-was-back-then within X days/weeks

I've no idea if UDP/123 packets would cause more or less attention these days.  As someone else suggested, have reverse DNS be something meaningful and I think you'd be okay.

 - ask