[Pool] High Offset / Jitter

David J Taylor david-taylor at blueyonder.co.uk
Tue Mar 1 06:44:42 UTC 2011

> David:
>
> Thanks. I threw your suggestion into ntp.conf and it appears to
> be doing better. Although I had to modify the time1 from 0.651 to 0.850.
> I still might tweak that, but for now GPS_NMEA is the favorite
> in my list and hasn't changed since it sync'd.
[]
*GPS_NMEA(0)     .GPSb.           0 l    -   64  377    0.000   17.842
12.029
 PPS(0)          .PPSb.           0 l    -   16    0    0.000    0.000
0.001

Alby,

You could be doing much better if you got the PPS working as well.  Note
that the reach is zero.  The PPS line should have a "o" as the first
character if it's working properly (like the NMEA has a "*").

Perhaps you need to rebuild the kernel with PPS support - but I'm not
familiar enough with Linux to know whether that's required.  Perhaps
someone can help with your Debian OS (Version 2.6.26.pps001).

Cheers,
David
Web:  http://www.satsignal.eu
Email:  david-taylor at blueyonder.co.uk