[Pool] High Offset / Jitter

Alby alby at empire.org
Tue Mar 1 12:46:26 UTC 2011

 I think I found my PPS issue. I'm using Debian and I found a blurb on
worldtimesolutions.com website with a step by step run through on
configuring the kernel. At the top of their post, they say you need
PPS on a different com port.  Ack!!!

Enabling ntpd PPS support for Debian Lenny Linux

The following procedure takes the standard pre-built Debian kernel and
rebuilds it with PPS (pulse per second) support for ntpd. This allows you
to utilise a low cost gps serial time antenna to turn your existing Debian
Linux server into an economical stratum 1 ntp network time source.

(Please note that in this configuration, the pps data and serial time and
date data should be supplied to the Linux server on different com ports.
Alternate linuxpps patch / kernel versions may fix this issue).