[Pool] High Offset / Jitter

David J Taylor david-taylor at blueyonder.co.uk
Tue Mar 1 12:52:56 UTC 2011

> David:
>
> I've rebuilt the linux kernel with PPS support. So it should be working.
> Hmmmm, now I wonder what is going on.. Ugh..   But when it rains it
> pours.. Cause now I've uncovered a new issue. Looking at my syslog file,
> gpsd is now spiting back this error:
>
> Feb 28 23:08:28 godzilla gpsd[5172]: gpsd: internal error - too many
> satellites!
> Feb 28 23:09:19 godzilla gpsd[5172]: gpsd: internal error - too many
> satellites!
> Feb 28 23:12:04 godzilla gpsd[5172]: gpsd: internal error - too many
> satellites!
> Feb 28 23:14:25 godzilla gpsd[5172]: gpsd: internal error - too many
> satellites!
> Feb 28 23:17:57 godzilla gpsd[5172]: gpsd: internal error - too many
> satellites!
>

>  I tell you, I just can't win.  lol.. I might have to go with a Windows
> setup for NTP.. But the anti-microsoft voice inside of me says not to
> do it.  lol

Sorry to hear that, Alby.  I have only rebuilt the kernel twice, and both
times it was on FreeBSD, and I don't use gpsd.  I do hope someone can ease
the pain!  <G>

I have both Windows and FreeBSD stratum-1 servers here for timekeeping -
the FreeBSD is the "reference" system, and the Windows systems just to see
how well it /might/ work following all the work which Dave Hart did in
improving the support for Windows.  The Windows systems do work, but are
within hundreds of microseconds rather than the up to ten microseconds for
the FreeBSD PC, and if your needs are at the millisecond level, perhaps
good enough.  Temperature seems to be the most critical factor in both
systems.  Windows 2000 or XP make the better timekeepers than Vista or
Windows-7.  I paralleled up the RS-232 feed so I had both the FreeBSD box
and a Windows box fed from the same GPS.

Cheers,
David
Web:  http://www.satsignal.eu
Email:  david-taylor at blueyonder.co.uk