[Pool] High Offset / Jitter

Courtney Bane courtney at cbane.org
Tue Mar 1 19:39:39 UTC 2011

On Tue, March 1, 2011 1:16 pm, Alby wrote:
> Could I also get the fudge/server lines in your ntp.conf file?
> I want to mimic your setup one I get my system upgraded to squezze and
> 2.6.37.

Sure, here are the relevant ones:
server 127.127.20.0 iburst minpoll 4 prefer
fudge 127.127.20.0 time2 -0.180 flag1 1 flag2 0

I've put the entire file up at http://cbane.org/ntp.conf-anthe (anthe is
the hostname of my home time server). Note that the network server I have
configured is the pool server that I run; you should probably use the
generic pool hostname(s) instead.

I've also installed the NIST leap seconds file (available from
ftp://time.nist.gov/pub/; note that you'll have to re-download this ever
so often, since the data in it expires). I saved it as
/etc/ntp/leap-seconds, and added the line "leapfile /etc/ntp/leap-seconds"
to my ntp.conf. If that works correctly, you should see a non-zero value
for the "tai" variable (which shows the current offset between TAI, which
doesn't have leap seconds, and UTC, which does) in your "ntpq -c rv"
output (it's current tai=34).

--
Courtney Bane
"He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy