[Pool] External device sync / PPS / USB

Michael R. Overholser mikeo at colorbroadband.com
Wed Mar 2 17:43:54 UTC 2011

If not, just order one of these:

http://www.amazon.com/2port-Pci-16c550-Serial-ocard/dp/B00006B8C0

Michael R. Overholser
Color Broadband Inc.

-----Original Message-----
From: pool-bounces+mikeo=colorbroadband.com at lists.ntp.org
[mailto:pool-bounces+mikeo=colorbroadband.com at lists.ntp.org] On Behalf Of
David J Taylor
Sent: Wednesday, March 02, 2011 9:33 AM
To: NTP Pool List
Subject: Re: [Pool] External device sync / PPS / USB

> As long as we're on this topic, is it important to distinguish serial
> ports that are connected via an internal (or external) USB bus? Does
> this increase jitter? What if there's other traffic on the USB bus?
>
> --
> Daniel

Using a Sitecom USB hub which includes a serial port, I made a comparison
here, Daniel:

  http://www.satsignal.eu/ntp/NTP-on-Windows-serial-port.html#usb

Yes, it does increase the jitter.  Whilst certainly not as good as a
direct connection, it's considerably better than a LAN-only connection.

Certainly not "a waste of your time and money" if USB is your only choice,
but check whether your motherboard has a serial port header and just needs
the lead to an RS-232 male connector on the back of the PC.  Many
motherboards do.

Cheers,
David
Web:  http://www.satsignal.eu