[Pool] External device sync / PPS / USB

David J Taylor david-taylor at blueyonder.co.uk
Thu Mar 3 10:34:30 UTC 2011

> Well, in your setup that might be true (and with the shorter polling
> interval), but it's probably dependent on the other USB traffic on that
> same hub (and on up to the main bus).
>
> So I guess it's /possible/, but probably inadvisable.
>
> --
> Daniel

All I can say Daniel is that "if you want better than LAN sync, and most
likely better than Internet sync, don't dismiss serial over USB".  You can
easily test for yourself how good it is, and whether it meets your own
aims.  I would not go as far as "inadvisable" without knowing more about
what accuracy you want.

If you have a motherboard where you can add RS-232 just with a header
lead, or buy an RS-232 card, so much the better.

Cheers,
David
Web:  http://www.satsignal.eu
Email:  david-taylor at blueyonder.co.uk