[Pool] Isolated NTP Server vs. Adding Stratum 1 Servers

Chuck Swiger cswiger at mac.com
Mon Mar 7 21:42:23 UTC 2011

On Mar 7, 2011, at 1:20 PM, Alby wrote:
> I have been able to get my Garmin GPS "18x" LVC working, but only if
> no other NTP servers are listed in the ntp.conf file.  If I even think
> of sticking 1 server in their, the GPS_NMEA will show up as a falsetick.
> I assume this isn't normal. Any suggestions on a possible resolution?

Lack of info: you haven't specified which platform you are using, which version of ntpd, and which version of gpsd. You also didn't mention whether you are using a real serial connection, or a serial-to-USB converter.

Also, it is borderline abusive of the stratum-1 servers to poll them at 64 second intervals.  You really ought to be using a maxpoll setting of at least 9, aka 512 seconds, for anyone else's timeservers....

Regards,
--
-Chuck