[Pool] Isolated NTP Server vs. Adding Stratum 1 Servers

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Mon Mar 7 23:26:05 UTC 2011

> NTPD: 4.2.6p3
> GPSD: 2.95

If you are running gpsd, get rid of it until you get this sorted out.

>  I'm using Debian (Squeeze) running Linux 2.6.37.2
>  How should I set the Garmin for noselect to run this checksum?

(I'm not a Debian wizard.)

I'm assuming you know enough about ntpd to setup a couple of network servers
and that you can pick ones that work reasonably well.

Put something like this in your ntp.conf:
  server 127.127.20.0 noselect
You will also need to run something like:
  ln -s /dev/ttyS0 /dev/gps0
You can put it in your /etc/rc.local or /etc/sysconfig/ntpd

Run it for a while and see what ntpq -p says for an offset.

The primary documentation for ntpd is web pages.  (Some of it gets
reformatted as man pages, but there is lots more.)

If they aren't included with your system, you may have to install something
like a ntp-doc package.  Or get them from here:
  http://doc.ntp.org/
You want the version that corresponds to your release.

There is a lot of stuff there and it may be hard to find what you want.  I
often use grep -r on a local copy to locate the page I want.