[Pool] Isolated NTP Server vs. Adding Stratum 1 Servers

David J Taylor david-taylor at blueyonder.co.uk
Tue Mar 8 07:16:08 UTC 2011

> I have been able to get my Garmin GPS "18x" LVC working, but only if
> no other NTP servers are listed in the ntp.conf file.  If I even think
> of sticking 1 server in their, the GPS_NMEA will show up as a falsetick.
> I assume this isn't normal. Any suggestions on a possible resolution?

For reasons which others have mentioned, with the GPS 18x LVC and recent
firmware, I have resorted to using just the PPS signal, and using internet
(and other) sources to set the PC to the nearest second.  For the Windows
port of NTP, the configuration lines were similar to:

__________________________
# PPS serial port driver - uses serialpps.sys
server  127.127.22.1  minpoll 4            # PPS using serialpps.sys

# NMEA serial port driver
server  127.127.20.1  minpoll 4  mode 33  noselect	# 19200bps, NMEA serial
port

server	0.uk.pool.ntp.org	minpoll 10
server	1.uk.pool.ntp.org	minpoll 10
server	0.nl.pool.ntp.org	minpoll 10