[Pool] time reset

Chuck Swiger cswiger at mac.com
Thu Mar 24 19:40:54 UTC 2011

On Mar 24, 2011, at 12:00 PM, Alby wrote:
> What could be going on with my NTP session that is causing the
> time to reset a every every hour or more?  I've rebooted my box,
> deleted the drift file. Ran ntpdate to another server and then
> started ntpd, and still I keep getting these resets.

Well, it means that the clock has gotten more than 128ms out of sync and ntpd is stepping rather than slewing the clock.  As to why that is happening, that's harder to guess.

Your network stats indicate relatively high round-trip times and lots of jitter; perhaps you're having network contention with other traffic?  It might help to try and find timeservers which are closer; in particular, having another peer or two on the LAN would probably be informative....

Regards,
--
-Chuck