[Pool] Prevent packet storm

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Thu Mar 24 21:38:12 UTC 2011

> Please share the IP address so others can keep an eye out for similar abuse
> against their pool servers.

Could something like the system that keeps track of pool server quality be
setup to collect data on abusive clients?

It doesn't need to check all the servers, just enough of them to find some
abusive users so we have some data to work with.

That would probably only work with recent versions of ntpd with Dave Hart's
cleanup to that area.  (It used to be a linked list so it couldn't be big
enough to be interesting.  There is now a hash table.  A big table doesn't
take up too much memory.)  Somebody can probably work out the size of the
table that would be needed to catch a borderline bad guy if you know the
traffic load.