[Pool] time reset

Chuck Swiger cswiger at mac.com
Fri Mar 25 21:04:04 UTC 2011

On Mar 25, 2011, at 1:02 PM, sjm wrote:
>> Running ntpd is not easier than setting Xen's independent_wallclock =
>> 0, or VMware's vmx option tools.syncTime = true.  As for best, well,
>> I've yet to see data where that happens:
>
> Actually the latest "best practices" for VMWare specifically state:
> "Note: In all cases use NTP instead of VMware Tools periodic time
> synchronization."
>

> See:
> http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=1006427

Yes, I know what VMWare recommends.  In fact, if you wander through the thread I referenced, I called out the same link-- well, I pointed directly to http://kb.vmware.com/kb/1006427 in Message-id: <917F7A51-33EC-432B-8F18-524F4F254D82 at mac.com>.

What's missing is the data to support the notion that running ntpd in the VMs results in better timekeeping than sync'ing from the Dom0/host ESX/whatever.

Regards,
--
-Chuck