[Pool] From which IP addresses is going monitoring activity?

Nathan Gibbs nathan at cmpublishers.com
Wed Sep 14 16:02:49 UTC 2011

On 9/14/2011 11:04 AM, Anthony DeRobertis wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 14, 2011 at 06:51:57PM +0400, Huckster wrote:
>>
>> I asked for monitoring IPs for EXCLUDE them from auto-ban script :)
>> Can't find this info on official sites. I think, this info must be open,
>> isn't it?
>
> The point is the monitoring servers are *not* agressive in any way. If
> your scripts ban them, then your scripts are banning clients that are
> nowhere near abusive.

He may be planning for fail, not planning to fail there is a difference.

I'd like to know the monitoring IP's for the following reason.

Getting alerted when fail happens.

I have a couple internal rbl's as follows
One for addresses that should never be blocked.
One for addresses that are being blocked.

When an address shows up in both, I get an alert, and know that I need
to fix something.

Banning scripts do get misconfigured, the wrong addresses do get blocked
via human error.  I found a couple of those in our firewall rule set
last week.
:-)

Planning for fail and setting up a script to avoid fail sounds like a
good idea to me.  Of course, if his script is too aggressive, fail will
still happen.
:-)

--
Sincerely,