[Pool] Fwd: Problem with web page http://0.debian.pool.ntp.org/

Chuck Swiger cswiger at mac.com
Fri Sep 23 17:19:29 UTC 2011

Hi, Paolo--

On Sep 22, 2011, at 6:30 AM, paolo massa wrote:
> Just to let you know that http://0.debian.pool.ntp.org/
> show info about Italian company about drugs.
>
> I guess this is ok for NTP purposes (running not on port 80)
> but it is not great from an image point of view.

The majority of folks offering NTP services to the pool are doing other things with the machines running ntpd.  Trying to connect to any service except NTP via a *.pool.ntp.org DNS name is explicitly outside of scope.

This said, it is considered polite for a machine also running a webserver to setup a helpful VirtualHost entry, something like:

<VirtualHost *:80>
    ServerName pool.ntp.org
    ServerAlias *.pool.ntp.org
    Redirect permanent / http://www.pool.ntp.org/
</VirtualHost>

...but this is by no means a requirement for a host to participate in the NTP pool.

Regards,
--
-Chuck