[Pool] Valid pool server checks

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Wed Apr 1 17:56:40 UTC 2015

> The 'pool' directive is how ntpd initially *finds* servers from the pool.
> Once found, they are used until ntpd decides they are "bad", and it throws
> out the bad ones and solicits new servers.

The 'pool' directive is one way to find servers.  The 'server' directive also
works with the same DNS names, but it doesn't have the same mechanism to
throw out 'bad' servers.

I think there are a lot of systems using pool servers with the server
directive because the pool project got going before released versions of ntpd
supported the pool directive.

--
These are my opinions.  I hate spam.