[Pool] Server Abuse

Michael Meier michael.meier at fau.de
Sun Apr 5 15:52:46 UTC 2015

On 04/05/2015 02:01 PM, Kasper Pedersen wrote:
> On 04/05/2015 09:02 AM, Michael Meier wrote:
>> Now for something related: We've seen a big increase in clients/requests
>> on all our pool servers since Friday, March 13th - is anyone else seing
>> this?
> Denmark: Nothing to see here. Here is roughly a year of traffic:
> http://n1.taur.dk/clock/packets2.png

Our four servers are in the .de pool, and the increase I'm talking about
is visible here:
http://www.rrze.fau.de/cgi-bin/import-url-hpc.pl/ntpALL-uniqueips-17min-year
It's also very visible in the IPv6 graph, and the increase seems to be
relative to the bandwidth with which they are listed in the pool (0+1 as
gbit, 2+3 as 100M):
http://www.rrze.fau.de/cgi-bin/import-url-hpc.pl/ntpALL-uniqueipsv6-17min-month

And since it got removed from the last post by the mailinglist, this is
the accepted vs. dropped-due-to-ratelimit graph:
https://grid.rrze.fau.de/~unrz191/ntpd_ratelimit_v4_sh-year.png
--
Michael Meier, Zentrale Systeme
Friedrich-Alexander-Universitaet Erlangen-Nuernberg
michael.meier at fau.de
www.rrze.fau.de