[Pool] Leap second at end of June 2015

Matt Wagner mwaggy at gmail.com
Tue Jan 6 03:24:40 UTC 2015

On Mon, Jan 5, 2015 at 9:13 AM, Koos van den Hout <koos at idefix.net> wrote:

> Quoting Martin Radford who wrote on Mon 2015-01-05 at 14:01:
>
> > There will be a leap second at the end of June 2015....
> >
> > http://hpiers.obspm.fr/iers/bul/bulc/bulletinc.dat
>
> And relevant to the leap-seconds file in ntpd: it seems to me that file
> is only updated nearly two months after the IERS announcement.
>
> If the first one on this list to spot it could share that!

It appears to be up already: ftp://time.nist.gov/pub/leap-seconds.3629404800

It occurs to me that there ought to be a better way of handling this than
making
sure stratum 1 operators manually retrieve a file from an FTP server and
apply
it to their servers. It seems like the NTP protocol handles this properly
where its
upstreams indicate it, but expecting all the stratum 1 operators to get
this right
seems like it's asking for trouble. I wish there were some more reliable
way of
distributing this information. I'm not entirely sure what that approach
would be,
though.