[Pool] Leap second at end of June 2015

Miroslav Lichvar mlichvar at redhat.com
Tue Jan 6 08:15:17 UTC 2015

On Mon, Jan 05, 2015 at 10:24:40PM -0500, Matt Wagner wrote:
> It occurs to me that there ought to be a better way of handling this
> than making sure stratum 1 operators manually retrieve a file from
> an FTP server and apply it to their servers.

There is one already there, sort of. Leap seconds are included in the
"right" timezones from the tzdata package. If you use a distribution
that updates the tzdata package regularly and keep your system up to
date, the information about an upcoming leap second should be included
in the timezones before it actually happens.

chrony can be configured to use this by adding "leapsectz right/UTC"
to chrony.conf. Restart is not necessary when tzdata is updated, it
will be reloaded automatically.

However, this is not equivalent to having the NIST leapseconds file as
the expiration date is lost, the applications can't tell if there
really is no leap second in a given month or that the timezone just
wasn't updated yet.

--
Miroslav Lichvar