[Pool] Leap second at end of June 2015

Miroslav Lichvar mlichvar at redhat.com
Tue Jan 6 10:02:30 UTC 2015

On Tue, Jan 06, 2015 at 09:42:59AM +0100, Martin Burnicki wrote:
> The IERS file now also provides an expiration date, and the maintainer of
> the TZ data base, Paul Eggert, has mentioned that he has added some code
> which now provides the expiration date in the TZ DB leapsecond file:
> http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/tzdist/current/msg01135.html

That's great.

> However, I haven't tried this and I'm not sure which changes are required in
> some libraries or applications to *evaluate* the expiration date.

It would be nice if it didn't require any modifications in libraries
that parse tzdata (e.g. libc), only in the applications that would use
this information. Maybe create new special timezones, one mapping UTC
to UTC-TAI offset and another mapping UTC to the delta in the UTC-TAI
offset in the given day, with a special value for N/A that would be
used after the expiration date.

--
Miroslav Lichvar