[Pool] Leap second announcement

Kurt Roeckx kurt at roeckx.be
Wed Jul 1 00:24:17 UTC 2015

On Wed, Jul 01, 2015 at 12:46:00AM +0200, Kurt Roeckx wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 30, 2015 at 07:26:33PM +0200, Rob Janssen wrote:
> > Majdi S. Abbas wrote:
> > >	This seems to depend on country.  Has anyone else noticed the
> > >Netherlands seem to be opting out of this one?
> > >
> > >srcadr=ntp.luna.nl, leap=00, stratum=2
> > >srcadr=ns2.proserve.nl, leap=00, stratum=2
> > >srcadr=ntp.raqxs.nl, leap=00, stratum=2
> > >srcadr=ntp4.bit.nl, leap=00, stratum=1
> > >srcadr=ntp.bserved.nl, leap=00, stratum=2
> > >srcadr=arethusa.tweakers.net, leap=00, stratum=2
> > >srcadr=pfsense02.steambay.nl, leap=00, stratum=3
> > >
> > >	Ask, can you run that query against just the NL members of
> > >the pool?
> > >

> > This is probably because the often (ab)used stratum 1 servers of uu.net and surfnet
> > do not announce the leapsecond, and so all the stratum 2 servers copy that wrong info.
>
> We have sort of the same problem in Belgium where the oma.be
> servers don't announce it, and the other popular stratum 1 servers
> are the one from .nl.

It seems that chime2.surfnet.nl and ntp1.oma.be are the only
stratum 1 servers that are off by a second that I know about
in .be and .nl.  The others seem to have adjusted for the leap
second, even though they didn't announce it.

I also had one server that showed leap_add_sec, leap_disarmed,
leap=01.  It did insert the leap seconds.  I'm unsure what that
means.

Kurt