[Pool] RIPE Atlas monitoring pool

Jerry Pasker jerry at jerry.org
Fri Jul 10 20:24:47 UTC 2015

>> On Jun 1, 2015, at 9:25, Rob Janssen <rob at knoware.nl.eu.org> wrote:
>>
>>> - independent reporting is usually appreciated by users of a system
>>
>> Sure, but unsolicited "research" is not appreciated by lots of network operators.

Sorry, just catching up and saw this, and decided to chime in:

Ah, but what about all the people that join the pool and run NTP servers to to research on the clients and NTPd's performance, in general?

As an operator, I'd rather have 1000 researchers poking around than 1 script kiddie looking to use the NTP pool to obscure DoS packets.