[Pool] Off by a second leap second failures

Harlan Stenn stenn at ntp.org
Sun Jul 12 00:40:27 UTC 2015

Kurt Roeckx writes:
> On Sat, Jul 11, 2015 at 09:22:52PM -0000, David Lord wrote:

> > > [snip]

> > > [snip]

> > > john at pisquared:~$ ntpq -c version
> > > ntpq 4.2.6p5 at 1.2349-o Fri Apr 10 19:31:39 UTC 2015 (1)
> > > john at pisquared:~$
> >

> > 4.2.6p5 was released 20111224
>
> And there wasn't any (stable) release after that for years.

That's right.

I've been saying the following for YEARS:

 If people want releases to happen more often, they need to help make
 that happen.  There are two direct ways to make that happen.

 1) Volunteer to help.  The requirements for this are that the
 volunteers are competent and collaborative.

 2) Find ways to get money sent to NTF.  Finding competent and
 collaborative volunteers is difficult.  Finding competent and
 collaborative staffers is less difficult, but it's expensive.

You may also note that 4.2.8 is getting more frequent patch releases.

Some people really like that.  Some people really dislike it.

I'd like to see a stable release every year or so.

There has currently been no discusison about how often point patches
should be released.

NTP/Network Time is an effort that needs at least a dozen full-time
people on it.  That's somewhere around 25,000 hours/year, minimum.

--
Harlan Stenn <stenn at ntp.org>