[Pool] Off by a second leap second failures

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Sun Jul 12 03:27:16 UTC 2015

stenn at ntp.org said:
> There has currently been no discusison about how often point patches should
> be released.

My 2 cents...

Patch releases should be reserved for bug fixes.  They should be drop in
replacements with no user visible changes.   (User in that context means
sysadmin.)

Of course, there are exceptions.  I think the recent smear option is a good
example.  Normally, I'd expect new features to be part of the next stable
release.  If you don't have enough time to thoroughly test all the other
changes, then a patch release might make sense.

> You may also note that 4.2.8 is getting more frequent patch releases.
> Some people really like that.  Some people really dislike it.
> I'd like to see a stable release every year or so.

Do the people who want more frequent patch releases really want patch
releases or more frequent stable releases?  What do they want in their newer
releases?  Would they be happy if you just announced an occasional -dev
release as a good one?

--
These are my opinions.  I hate spam.