[Pool] Off by a second leap second failures

Martin Burnicki martin.burnicki at burnicki.net
Sun Jul 12 07:34:25 UTC 2015

John Winters wrote:
> On 11/07/15 08:48, Hal Murray wrote:
>>
>> ntp at sinodun.org.uk said:
>>> I have to confess that my server was one of those which failed to handle
>>> the leap second gracefully, and I've yet to work out why.
>>
>> What OS/distro?  What version?  Was everything up to date?

what's the output of "ntpq -c rv"?

If you have a *current* leap second file, and you have configured ntpd
correctly to use it, the output should contain something like:

leapsec=201507010000, expire=201512280000

If these terms are missing then the leap second file has not been
evaluated by ntpd. If "leapsec=" and "expire=" report older dates then
the leap second file is outdated and ntpd has not been aware of last
recent leap second.

Please note that, if the latter is the case, ntpd 4.2.6 will not even
accept a leap second warning from its upstream servers. :-(

Anyway, it should have stepped the time a few minutes after the leap
seconds, if the upstream servers have inserted the leap second properly.

Martin