[Pool] Off by a second leap second failures

Rob Janssen rob at knoware.nl.eu.org
Sun Jul 12 18:06:07 UTC 2015

Martin Schröder wrote:
>> or Microsoft, and leave the Linux community alone.  We don't want that kind
>> of sh*t,
> Instead you prefer a project that claims to need a dozen people full
> time for a small problem.

Well, it is the chief maintainer of the project that claims this, not the project itself.
I have seen this claim a few times, but I also see people in other fields claim that they
make 80 hour workweeks, and I usually attribute this to either exaggeration or
inefficient working.  Some people achieve less in 80 hours than others do in 20.
In that case it is dangerous to extrapolate the own figures to the number of people
required to do the job.  It may well be that one additional person can do the remaining
11/12 of the work.

On the actual topic, I think it is not a good idea to combine all kinds of system jobs into a
single subsystem that is unfamiliar and has behaviour that may be documented but is not
obvious.  Someone who installs Linux and finds that the distributor has made the unfortunate
step of replacing init with systemd will not see the need to check the documentation to find
if this maybe also replaces ntpd.   The case shows that this causes havoc, and I cannot
blame the victim for this.  I blame systemd for stepping into this area.

The next time I upgrade my system I will look for a Poettering-free Linux.  When that is
still available.

Rob