[Pool] Off by a second leap second failures

Harlan Stenn stenn at ntp.org
Sun Jul 12 20:27:40 UTC 2015

=?UTF-8?Q?Martin_Schr=C3=B6der?= writes:
> > NTP/Network Time is an effort that needs at least a dozen full-time
> > people on it.  That's somewhere around 25,000 hours/year, minimum.
>
> I hate to say this, but: Not. Going. To. Happen.
>
> I doubt that that many people are working on bind, for example. Or
> btrfs. apache, maybe.
> Are you really telling us that ntpd is as complex as apache?

I spent several years' time at ISC.  I *know* how many people are
supporting bind, and our tarball is just a bit smaller than theirs.  We
do not have even 5% of the resources to support NTP that ISC has to
support bind.

They've also had that many people working on bind for *many* years'
time.  We've got a backlog they don't have.

Do you think the only thing that needs to happen for NTP is some coding?

I've got 20+ years of active experience and participation for my
position.

What reality is your position based on?

Do you want the efforts of me and NTF to fail because you are *certain*
I'm wrong about the needs and scope of this effort?  Or perhaps you have
some other agenda.