[Pool] Virtualization

Michael Rathbun time at rabendary.net
Mon Jul 20 14:08:02 UTC 2015

On Mon, 20 Jul 2015 01:49:37 -0700, Ask Bjørn Hansen <ask at ntppool.org>
wrote:

>But for most actually deployed servers isn’t that almost as true when you’re not virtualized? Modern kernels and CPUs do all sorts of tricks to save power and divide resources. Most servers aren’t configured to run at full speed just in case it makes the time keeping better.

FWIW, my FreeBSD server instance is running in a VirtualBox VM on a Windows
7 platform.  Before I had to consolidate some hardware, it was on its own
FreeBSD dedicated hardware.  The Windows environment also runs its own NTP
server (Meinberg).

Oddly, from the standpoint of measured offsets, the best performer
according to the monitor is the VM instance; the worst is the Windows
implementation.

mdr
--
   Sometimes half-ass is exactly the right amount of ass.
       -- Wonderella