[Pool] Virtualization

Martin Jones martin at jonesey.net
Mon Jul 20 16:25:35 UTC 2015

As another data point, I have been running a stratum 2 pool server in
Digital Ocean's KVM based cloud for a couple  of months now and it performs
well. It stays within 1 ms of the stratum 1 servers it follows. That is
more than good enough for the ntp pool.

I now have it registered in the pool as a 1Gbps server but ntp traffic is
only using about 15% of my monthly transfer allowance of 1TB.

I see no good reason why a service provider should differentiate between
ntp and any other type of IP traffic while there is an agreed allowance
covered by the monthly fee.

Martin Jones
(jonesey)