[Pool] Leap second is coming

Harlan Stenn stenn at ntp.org
Sat May 2 20:03:08 UTC 2015

Roel Wagenaar writes:
> Jan Kasprzak <kas at fi.muni.cz> wrote:
>

> > What is the best way to get the leap seconds file? The first URL in Google
> > search results is apparently redirecting to itself:
> >
> > http://www.ietf.org/timezones/data/leap-seconds.list
> >

> Can we rely on this file to be accurate and up-to-date?
>
> Does ntpd need reloading if the file changes, or is this made autodetecting?

ntpd does not look at remote files.  If ntpd is configured with a local
leapseconds file it will look at the timestamp of that file and
auto-reload it.

The ntp-4.2.8 distribution has a script in it called update-leap and a
cron job is your friend.

That script probably needs more portability testing.

Please check it out and submit patches with any bug reports about it.
If all you can do is submit a bug report that's OK too.
--
Harlan Stenn <stenn at ntp.org>