[Pool] Leap second is coming

David Lord david at lordynet.org
Sun May 3 14:45:34 UTC 2015

On 2 May 2015 at 20:03, Harlan Stenn wrote:

> Roel Wagenaar writes:
> > Jan Kasprzak <kas at fi.muni.cz> wrote:
> >

> > > What is the best way to get the leap seconds file? The first URL in Google
> > > search results is apparently redirecting to itself:
> > >
> > > http://www.ietf.org/timezones/data/leap-seconds.list
> > >

> > Can we rely on this file to be accurate and up-to-date?
> >
> > Does ntpd need reloading if the file changes, or is this made autodetecting?
>
> ntpd does not look at remote files.  If ntpd is configured with a local
> leapseconds file it will look at the timestamp of that file and
> auto-reload it.
>
> The ntp-4.2.8 distribution has a script in it called update-leap and a
> cron job is your friend.
>
> That script probably needs more portability testing.
>
> Please check it out and submit patches with any bug reports about it.
> If all you can do is submit a bug report that's OK too.

I checked last night and the downloaded file was flagged
by the script as corrupted.

10386 Jan  8 11:06:16 2015 /var/db/ntp/leap-seconds.3629404800
10384 May  3 02:11:42 2015 /var/db/ntp/leap-seconds.24023.tmp

There's no visual difference in the diff so I guess it's
trailing spaces or tabs.

David

--
David Lord <david at lordynet.org>