[Pool] Leap second is coming

Martin Burnicki martin.burnicki at meinberg.de
Mon May 4 12:23:56 UTC 2015

Harlan Stenn wrote:
> Roel Wagenaar writes:
>> Just to make sure, does version 4.2.6p5 already autodetect timestamp
>> changes?
>
> As I recall, yes, 4.2.6p5 will notice when the leapseconds file has been
> updated and it will reload it.  I do know that 4.2.6 was a lot more
> noisy about the leapsecond file, and I don't recall how often it checked
> for changes (I think it was once a day).

With a quick grep over the 4.2.6p5 source code I don't see where this
should happen. So unless I'm missing something ntpd 4.2.6p5 just reads
the leap second file only *once* at startup.

And, if the leap second file is outdated, ntpd 4.2.6p5 accepts valid
leap second announcements neither from upstream NTP servers, nor from
refclocks / GPS receivers.

Both issues have been fixed in NTP 4.2.8, where the leap second file is
really re-read if it has been updated, and is ignored if the file's
expiration dated has already passed by.

Martin
--
Martin Burnicki

Senior Software Engineer

MEINBERG Funkuhren GmbH & Co. KG
Email: martin.burnicki at meinberg.de
Phone: +49 (0)5281 9309-14
Fax: +49 (0)5281 9309-30

Lange Wand 9, 31812 Bad Pyrmont, Germany
Amtsgericht Hannover 17HRA 100322
Geschäftsführer/Managing Directors: Günter Meinberg, Werner Meinberg,
Andre Hartmann, Heiko Gerstung
Web: http://www.meinberg.de