[Pool] 8-10k pps in Brazil

Daniel Frank ntp at tokuko.de
Fri May 22 22:05:50 UTC 2015

Am Samstag, 23. Mai 2015, 05:32:22 schrieb Sanjeev Gupta:
> On Sat, May 23, 2015 at 2:28 AM, Matt Wagner <mwaggy at gmail.com>
wrote:
> > Does anyone else here run an NTP server in Brazil? I'm wondering if
you
> > are
> > seeing the same crazy load I am.
>
> Please see: http://www.pool.ntp.org/zone/south-america
>
> Sometime between 6 months and 2 months ago, Brazil lost half of its
IPv4
> servers.  The remaining may have lower bandwidth limits as well, so you
may
> be seeing most of Brazil coming to you.

Unless I'm mistaken, there was a similar problem in turkey in 2012, though
I don't think a server has been completely overloaded there.

I believe Ask added servers from other regions manually to lessen the load
on the remaining servers, so something similar may be possible here as
well.

Maybe this could even be automated, so that servers from other regions
are automatically inserted into zones that do not have many servers.
I'm not sure what's possible here, but maybe something like the following
would work?
The DNS server software logs e.g. every 100th request by increasing a
counter.
Then maybe once a day/hour a job runs that checks how much bandwidth
is registered in each zone and if the relation to the requests is ok or if the
zone needs to be filled with additional servers, in which case it pulls them
from the global list of servers registered as 1 gbps or maybe 100 mbit
servers. Or a sort of "backup pool" is opened with server admins that are
willing to fill in gaps where necessary, though I'd prefer the global zone as
source, as that results in a better distribution of the load.

I have no idea how many requests the pool software receives per second,
so I don't know if that's even feasible or would cause a lot of additional
load (apart from someone having to actually implement it in the first
place...).

Regards,
Daniel