[Pool] any difference between the NTP pool vendor zones?

Nathan Stratton Treadway nathanst at ontko.com
Sat May 23 00:08:31 UTC 2015

I was recently setting up some Amazon EC2 instances running Ubuntu, and
noticed that Amazon's instructions for mantaining accurate time within
an instance (
  http://docs.aws.amazon.com/AWSEC2/latest/UserGuide/set-time.html
) show the use of "server N.amazon.pool.ntp.org", while the Ubuntu
images come preconfigured to use "server N.ubuntu.pool.ntp.org" instead.

I took a look through the documentation on www.pool.ntp.org (and in
particular the vendors.html page), but didn't find any specific
discussion about the actual differences between different vendor zones.

Am I correct in guessing that setting up my ntp.conf file one or the
other of these zones will result in the same behavior on my client?  (In
other words, the server IPs returned from the DNS lookup for either
will come from the same set of possible pool servers, with the same
geographic restrictions, etc.)

Similarly, is N.<vendor_zone>.pool.ntp.org actually equivalent to
N.pool.ntp.org, from the client's point of view?

Thanks.

							Nathan