[Pool] any difference between the NTP pool vendor zones?

Ask Bjørn Hansen ask at ntppool.org
Sat May 23 01:31:14 UTC 2015

> On May 22, 2015, at 17:08, Nathan Stratton Treadway <nathanst at ontko.com> wrote:
>
> Similarly, is N.<vendor_zone>.pool.ntp.org actually equivalent to
> N.pool.ntp.org, from the client's point of view?

Basically, yes.

There's an unused (and at most partially implemented) setting to have each "zone" be marked as supporting SNTP-, NTP-clients or both. The system can pick different servers and divide them between the numeric sub-zones differently based on this. Vendor zones could also choose different options for IPv6 support.

The primary use for the vendor zones is for managing problems though. For example if we could find out that the current load in Brazil is from requests from a particular vendor zone then we have better mitigation options than if it is just broken software using "pool.ntp.org".

Ask