[Pool] RIPE Atlas monitoring pool

Daniel Frank ntp at tokuko.de
Sun May 31 11:29:16 UTC 2015

Am Freitag, 29. Mai 2015, 11:02:47 schrieb Philip Homburg:
> Hi,
>
> I work on the RIPE Atlas project (https://atlas.ripe.net/). We have more
> than 8000 probes world wide that can performance various types of
> measurements. Ping, traceroute, dns, http, but also ntp.
>
> My plan is to start a measurement where all probes perform ntp
measurements
> towards pool. Especially with the upcoming leap second, now seems to
be
> an interesting time to start the measurement. There is almost a month
> collect a baseline reference. And some system might announce the leap
> second early.
>
> My current plan is to have each probe run an ntp measurement toward
> pool.ntp.org every 15 minutes. A measurement involves looking up
> pool.ntp.org in DNS and sending 3 requests towards the first IPv4
address
> that is returned. (IPv6 capable probes would run a separate
measurement
> to the first IPv6 address).

I'm not really sure what you want to do with the data you gather. The result
would be pretty much similar to what the pool monitoring system already
gathers, just as seen from an outsider because you will get a different
server on every measurement.
Ok you can make a statistic about the leap second e.g. to show roughly
how the percentage of servers announcing the leap second is. But is that
all you want to accomplish?
Personally I don't mind this, as long as you don't have all 8000 probes
start at once but randomly distribute the load over the 15 minutes.
8000 probes multiplied with 3 packets at once is about 1.7 Megabyte and
could easily annoy servers with weaker links.

Regards,
Daniel