[ntp:questions] Re: Public servers?

David Schwartz davids at webmaster.com
Fri Aug 1 02:12:44 UTC 2003

"Harlan Stenn" <stenn at whimsy.udel.edu> wrote in message
news:o4ptjqjhqr.fsf at whimsy.udel.edu...

> In my exerience with several other ISPs, when I ask about an NTP server
> I have been told "get it from router upstream of your connection".

> So we're back to "how does one find the closest stable servers we have
> permission to talk to"?

    That's the problem. If you obtain permission, odds are at the same time
you'll also be told which servers you should talk to. Server discovery might
be useful to tell you who you should talk to about obtaining permission, but
assuming you are allowed to talk to any server you might find, regardless of
how close it might be to you, sounds like a very bad idea to me.

    DS