[ntp:questions] Re: Public servers?

David L. Mills mills at udel.edu
Fri Aug 1 05:51:47 UTC 2003

Harlan,

If the ISP explicitly suggests a victim router, rejoice. If not, do not
rejoice and do not assume in any case whatsoever that a casual pry of
ISP routers for NTP response would be anything but evil. Please talk to
the CSIRO and U Wisconsin and Ultimeth operator for consensus views.

"how does one find the closest stable servers we have permission to talk
to"? There are only two, repeat and emphasis two, either you boogie with
pool.ntp.org or you MANUALLY parse the public lists and personally read
and respect the access restrictions. There are no other discovery means
acceptable at this time.

Dave