[ntp:questions] Re: Question about RFC-2030 SNTP Version4

Christopher J. Holland msnews at microsoft.com
Fri Aug 1 22:30:52 UTC 2003

Hi,

I give up. I really don't want to get too deep into understand the theory
behind the formulas.
I would just like to calculate the answers, so they look like the NTP Client
Program does.
I thought I could just plug in the Received Packet Values and come up with
Delta and
Round trip. Unfortunately, it isn't working out that way. So, maybe someday
I will come back
and understand it.

This is as far as I got.....
Originate Timestamp     T1   time request sent by client
Receive Timestamp       T2   time request received by server
Transmit Timestamp      T3   time reply sent by server
Destination Timestamp   T4   time reply received by client

d = (T4 - T1) - (T3 - T2)     t = ((T2 - T1) + (T3 - T4)) / 2.

Originate Timestamp corresponds to the Packet's Originate Timestamp.
Receive Timestamp corresponds to the Packet's Recieve Timestamp.
Transmit Timestamp corresponds to the Packet's Transmit Timestamp.

There is no "Destination Timestamp" in the receive Packet, Just the
Reference TimeStamp.
So, what is meant by Destination Timestamp. I am not sure.
Perhaps T4 it is the Reference Timestamp,  but that aint working.
If you can plug in the values and come up with a correct answer.
Congratulations.
It is beyond my scope for the time being.

Thanks for trying,
news:FqzWa.201$6M2.2658466 at news-text.cableinet.net...