[ntp:questions] Re: Public servers?

Adrian 'Dagurashibanipal' von Bidder varys at fortytwo.ch
Sat Aug 2 08:43:39 UTC 2003

Clinging to sanity, David L. Mills mumbled in his beard:
> The twenty
> volunteer servers returned from a DNS query to pool.ntp.org have agreed
> to open access and are scattered all over the world.

Slight correction: server count is at 78 right now. You only see 15 at any
given time as I want to avoid TCP dns queries, and also because bind has a
compiled-in upper limit on entries before it stops rotating them (32 per
default) - problems with not all DNS servers rotating at all have been
discussed previously and cannot be solved outside of hacking ntp, I
believe.

Also don't forget the per continent/per country subzones of pool.ntp.org.
Just visit http://www.pool.ntp.org (and, David, Harlan & Co.: please
forgive me for being slow with the integrate-it-into-www.ntp.org-project)

cheers
-- vbi