[ntp:questions] unix and windows environment sync to one NT4 timeserver "HOW"

David Woolley david at djwhome.demon.co.uk
Sun Aug 3 12:41:28 UTC 2003

In article <bga0sl$qqn$1 at dewey.udel.edu>, David L. Mills <mills at udel.edu> wrote:

> Now the bad; maybe not even bad at that. The same Win/XP Professional
> Edition machine does NOT return packets from a configured ntpd client.

My impression was that the original versions of Microsoft's SNTP
approximation returned certain fields from the request that would
normally be used to determine the health of the server.  Thus, an already
synchronized client would see its own good status and consider the
server good, but an unsynchronised one would see it as bad.  I haven't
rechecked this.