[ntp:questions] unix and windows environment sync to one NT4 time server "HOW"

David Woolley david at djwhome.demon.co.uk
Sun Aug 3 16:00:26 UTC 2003

In article <mailman.3.1059506178.1777.questions at ntp.org>,
Matthew Mclaughlin <mattylad_25 at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

> I have a NT4 time server getting the correct time from
> an atomic clock.  Synchronising the windows

If this is a real, local, atomic clock, you should either synchronize the
unix/linux machine to it and synchronize the NT4 from that, or should
parallel its output.  You will be throwing away most of its accuracy by
using NT4 as your primary time server.

If you are accessing it over the wide area network, you would be better
off using NTP to access it.  If you are making intermittent connections,
you should note that NTP is not really intended for handling times that
make sudden corrections.  The Unix or Linux system would, again, make a
better local secondary server.