[ntp:questions] Re: kiss-of-death packet - terminology

Dale Worley worley at dragon.ariadne.com
Wed Aug 6 14:19:56 UTC 2003

I myself play in the Professional Arrogance League, so I am in no
position to lecture.  But we are gathered here to fuel the NTP Jihad,
and its goal is to deliver as much benefit as possible to the human
race through the magic of NTP.  Anything which gets in the way of that
goal (including one's emotional foibles) must be set aside.

I think we can safely say that nobody will object to that reasoning.
(Because it would be far too embarrassing to do so.)

In practice, though, one of the most difficult barriers to getting
software adopted is not its technical excellence but its ease-of-use.
"If you reduce the IQ needed to run it by 5 points, you quadruple the
potential market."  And since the most rapidly growing part of the
Internet is non-English-speaking, minimizing language difficulties is
becoming an important issue.

Dale