[ntp:questions] Re: Does this look familiar?

Maarten Wiltink maarten at kittensandcats.net
Wed Aug 6 21:27:31 UTC 2003

Mike Ayers wrote in message ...

>My top level (top level for my domain, 3rd strata NTP) NTP client/server
is
>getting into an odd mode:

>ntpq> lpeers
>      remote           refid      st t when poll reach   delay   offset
jitter
====
>  bigben.ucsd.edu time.sdsc.edu   16 u   5d 1024    0    0.000    0.000
4000.00
>  clock.sjc.he.ne Toronto-HSE-ppp 16 u   5d 1024    0    0.000    0.000
4000.00
>  clock.fmt.he.ne 71.80.83.0      16 u   5d 1024    0    0.000    0.000
4000.00

Nothing odd about it. This is exactly what an NTP node looks like
when it has no contact with the outside.

> Has anyone seen this before?  Any sugestions on how I should debug it, or
what
>I should do to prevent it?  I know that I can restart ntpd and it should
be OK,
>but I'd like to try and eradicate the problem.  Pointers welcome.

Everybody who reads here for a week has seen it. Usually, it's
your firewall not allowing NTP traffic, or your broadband modem
getting a new IP address due to DHCP lease expiration. (More
likely the former if restarting NTP does not help; the latter if
it does.)

Groetjes,
Maarten Wiltink