[ntp:questions] peer trouble ? reach going down

Cyril cyril_mtl at hotmail.com
Thu Aug 7 00:15:09 UTC 2003

Hi,

I have 4 NTPs servers in a two city WAN, I would like to do some
'peering' between them to add more strength.

my ntp.conf file look like that for peer1 :
peer peer2 maxpoll 7
peer peer3 maxpoll 7
peer peer4 maxpoll 7

server server1

my ntp.conf file look like that for peer2 :
peer peer1 maxpoll 7
peer peer3 maxpoll 7
peer peer4 maxpoll 7

server server10

Everything work well, but the 'reach' for the peer associations never
stay a 377.
I snoop NTP communication I find some strange delay.
When a peer ask a server, the answer is very fast :
   fwdrp-dev -> chrivh40.cch.com NTP  client (Wed Aug  6 19:53:47
2003)
chrivh40.cch.com -> fwdrp-dev    NTP  server (Wed Aug  6 19:53:47
2003)
   fwdrp-dev -> SUE.CC.UREGINA.CA NTP  client (Wed Aug  6 19:53:58
2003)
SUE.CC.UREGINA.CA -> fwdrp-dev    NTP  server (Wed Aug  6 19:53:58
2003)

but message between peer are not the same :
       fwdrp -> gestor01     NTP  symmetric active (Wed Aug  6
19:45:08 2003)
    gestor01 -> fwdrp        NTP  symmetric passive (Wed Aug  6
19:46:07 2003)
    gestor01 -> fwdrp        NTP  symmetric passive (Wed Aug  6
19:47:15 2003)
       fwdrp -> gestor01     NTP  symmetric active (Wed Aug  6
19:47:16 2003)
    gestor01 -> fwdrp        NTP  symmetric passive (Wed Aug  6
19:48:23 2003)
       fwdrp -> gestor01     NTP  symmetric active (Wed Aug  6
19:49:24 2003)
    gestor01 -> fwdrp        NTP  symmetric passive (Wed Aug  6
19:50:31 2003)
       fwdrp -> gestor01     NTP  symmetric active (Wed Aug  6
19:51:32 2003)
    gestor01 -> fwdrp        NTP  symmetric passive (Wed Aug  6
19:52:39 2003)
       fwdrp -> gestor01     NTP  symmetric active (Wed Aug  6
19:53:40 2003)
    gestor01 -> fwdrp        NTP  symmetric passive (Wed Aug  6
19:54:47 2003)
30s to 2 mn between messages.

with ntpq peer, I see the reach for all my peer at 376 or 367 or 267,
but all my
'public' internet servers get 377 for reach.

Can you explain to me why peer exchange are slow ? (and sometime
one-way,
because they are not the same stratum 2/3 ?)  and my reach not 377 ?

We use xntpd 3.5.93e from solaris8. I try the last ntp4 but that
change nothing.

Thanks.

Cyril