[ntp:questions] Re: Using a local clock on an isolated subnet

Maarten Wiltink maarten at kittensandcats.net
Thu Aug 7 21:52:44 UTC 2003

Janet Dueck wrote in message ...
>Hi,
> I have set up a server to use it's local clock so that it can act
>as a time source on an isolated network.

Good move.

[...]
>server 127.127.1.1 prefer               # LCL, local clock
>fudge  127.127.1.1 stratum 0 refid LCL  # increase stratum

BAD move. There's no reason to prefer the local clock, and you
don't want it to be stratum 0, ever. I'm not sure if it would
make the machine stratum 0 or stratum 1, but it appears that
stratum 0 is the I'm-not-here signal, and faking stratum 1 is
unwarranted and misleading.

Groetjes,
Maarten Wiltink