[ntp:questions] More info on rejecting servers?

Ross Vandegrift ross at willow.seitz.com
Mon Aug 11 19:19:37 UTC 2003

Hello all,

	I've run into a router that seems particularly attached to not
serving ntp.  The router itself has been configured and reports it's in
active sync.  ntp has not been restricted at the router.

	I have a Debian woody GNU/Linux machine that is attempting to
sync to the router.  It's ntp.conf looks like:

logfile /var/log/ntpd
driftfile /var/lib/ntp/ntp.drift
statsdir /var/log/ntpstats/
statistics loopstats peerstats clockstats
filegen loopstats file loopstats type day enable
filegen peerstats file peerstats type day enable
filegen clockstats file clockstats type day enable
server router iburst

On the workstation:
hex5:~# ntpdate hemlock.seitz.com
11 Aug 14:37:28 ntpdate[2050]: step time server 146.145.147.190 offset
0.639787
sec
hex5:~# /etc/init.d/ntp start
Starting NTP server: ntpd.
<wait a few minutes>
hex5:~# ntpq -c as
ind assID status  conf reach auth condition  last_event cnt
  1 42164  9014   yes   yes  none    reject   reachable  1

I don't understand why ntpd seems to be rejecting the router as a
server - it's properly synced and keeping good time, and has been
configured to allow clients to sync.

After a few minutes, the logfile reads:
11 Aug 14:37:41 ntpd[2053]: frequency initialized -15.965 from /var/lib/ntp/ntp.drift
11 Aug 14:37:41 ntpd[2054]: signal_no_reset: signal 17 had flags 4000000
11 Aug 14:39:25 ntpd[2053]: kernel time discipline status change 41
11 Aug 14:40:28 ntpd[2053]: synchronisation lost

Is there any way I can get more information out of ntpd?  I've tried
using -d, but ntpd responds that it wasn't compiled with -DDEBUG.  Any
help would be greatly appreciated.

--
Ross Vandegrift
ross at willow.seitz.com

A Pope has a Water Cannon.                               It is a Water Cannon.
He fires Holy-Water from it.                        It is a Holy-Water Cannon.
He Blesses it.                                 It is a Holy Holy-Water Cannon.
He Blesses the Hell out of it.          It is a Wholly Holy Holy-Water Cannon.
He has it pierced.                It is a Holey Wholly Holy Holy-Water Cannon.
He makes it official.       It is a Canon Holey Wholly Holy Holy-Water Cannon.
Batman and Robin arrive.                                       He shoots them.